October 01, 2018
*SHEPHERD’S BARLEY SOUP
- 1/4 onion chopped
- 4 carrots grated
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 1Tbsp oil
- 2 Qts water
- 1 cup barley (substitute buckwheat or long grain rice to make it gluten-free)
- 1/3 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp sea salt or 1 Tbsp natto miso
- Saute onion, carrots and parsnips in oil (optional)
- Add water, barley, ginger. Simmer 1 1/2 hours
- Add salt or miso and simmer 15 min.
- Garnish with parsley
- Serves 8
* This recipe was drawn from Paul Pitchford’s classic book “Healing with Whole Foods: Oriental Traditions and Modern Nutrition .